|Current version:||18.104.22.168 (01.05.2016)|
|Genre:||2D top-down shooter|
Peter Schauss, under the name of Unreal Software (creator of Stranded and Stranded II), first began developing Counter-Strike 2D in 2002. The game's first Alpha versions were published in early 2004, but it truly gained popularity around Christmas Eve 2004 with the release of Beta 0.1.0.4. In August 2008, Counter-Strike 2D Max was released, adding many more features, and the game has since grown to what it is today: a relatively small gaming community with around 1400 active players worldwide.
In November 2015 Counter-Strike 2D entered the final stage of development. The transition was considered by DC to be more of a symbolic act, since the 22.214.171.124 release saw few significant gameplay changes or additions.
As of 1st May, 2016, Counter-Strike 2D got the 126.96.36.199. release version with several fixes and considerable features (such as the Advanced Radar, new Lighting & Shadows system and much more). It is by far the most update with major enhancements and improvements which concluded also to unknown and mass issues.
The initial idea for Counter-Strike 2D was to create a game which is much like the original Counter-Strike game by Valve Software, but in a top-down perspective. This goal has been reached by implementing all the original Counter-Strike weapons with their original sounds, by adding the most well-known Hostage Rescue (CS) and Bomb Defuse (DE) scenarios, including the Assasination (AS) mode and finally by creating 2D versions of the most popular Counter-Strike maps. This original idea has since been expanded upon with the addition of the Construction and Zombies game modes, new weapons, Lua modding functionality and much more.
As of 1st May 2016, the latest version is 188.8.131.52.
- Fast paced and tactical gaming similar to Counter-Strike.
- Chat & original Counter-Strike radio messages.
- Fog of war only lets you see enemies in your field of view (optional - implemented to make the 2D version similar to 3D view in which you must turn back to see behind you)
- Bots (AI) available for on- and offline gaming.
- 70 different game items that influence the gameplay
- Constructable buildings expanding the tactical opportunities
- Enhanced & improved Lighting and Shadows system
- Advanced radar with minimap
- Day/Night cycle
Counter-Strike 2D can be played online with players from all over the globe; these are some of the features the multiplayer mode provides:
- Serverlist with sorting, filters, Internet servers, LAN servers and favourites.
- Friends system and authentication based on UnrealSoftware.de accounts.
- Listen servers (Windows, Linux and Mac) and dedicated servers (Windows, Linux).
- Spraylogo, map and file transfer.
- RCon (remote control) for dedicated servers.
- Voting, kicking, banning, mapcycles and many other settings.
- Server player ranking and stats (in-game and as HTML output).
- Lua support that results in endless popular mods.
- Quick Play feature to choose a quick server in less time with players in and with Standard gameplay mode.
- Modding Support
- Main article: Maptypes
- Standard - the classic mode taken from the original game. A team only wins by either killing the other enemy team entirely or by completing the map objective (like bomb explosion). When a player dies, he will be spectating and marked as *DEAD* until the round ends.
- Deathmatch - individual survival mode, free-for-all.
- Team Deathmatch - get together with other people in squads and kill the other teams in a never-ending game.
- Construction - similar to the Team Deathmatch mode, but in this mode you can construct buildings such as turrets, walls, barricades, barbed wire, teleporters and more.
- Zombies! - Terrorists are zombies and must infect all Counter-Terrorists. Counter-Terrorists must survive until the round ends.